This blog is brought to you by Brick House Air Duct and Carpet Cleaning (our family business). We know a lot about cleaning carpet, air ducts, upholstery and even mattresses. Call us for a free in house estimate for your cleaning needs. 801.572.1000

Welcome!

Do you love all things clean as much as I do? Then definitely check back often. I am planning to keep this updated with all my favorite cleaning tips and other interesting stuff.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I know it looks a little different, but that is what it is supposed to look like.

Ok.  I am sensing a theme here.  Obviously I have laundry on the brain.  This is my third post in a row about laundry!

I am not a pioneer, but I did realize not too long ago, that I can make my own laundry detergent.  It saves a TON of money, and I have really liked it so far!  I've been making my own detergent for about 8 months now, and I can attest that it is worth it!  And oh so simple!

Here is the recipe.  I got it off the Internet, and since it was a while ago, I don't have a source to site.  BUT there are quite a few recipes out there, if you google "homemade laundry detergent." 

1 cup Borax
1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
2 cups grated soap (Fels Naptha or Zote - in the laundry detergent aisle) (I even used Ivory soap one time)
   (Also, I use a Salad Shooter for grating the soap.  It is super fast, and works just fine!)

Mix altogether, and store in an airtight container (I don't know why it needs to be airtight, actually).  Use 2 T. per load of wash.  I have a high efficiency washer, and I just put the homemade detergent right in with the clothes, and bypass the detergent dispenser.  But that is just what I do. 

This website talked about much $ you can save . . . . (only $2.98 for about 65 loads!)
This website gives a liquid formula recipe (which just takes more time, and I don't think it is worth it). . . .
This website had a lot of details info, including a YouTube video . . . . 

But when it comes down to it, you should probably just use my simple recipe.  Because you can trust me that it works!  But you really should try it, that is if you are into saving money.  And with the economy these days . . . it seems like we are all on board with saving money.

Let me know what you think! 

And, as I've been pointing out for the last few posts, CLEAN LAUNDRY FEELS GOOD!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Dear, are you actually visiting this website daily, if so then you will without doubt take good know-how.


    Feel free to visit my website - steakhouse

    ReplyDelete