This blog is brought to you by Brick House Air Duct and Carpet Cleaning (our family business). We know a lot about cleaning carpet, air ducts, upholstery and even mattresses. Call us for a free in house estimate for your cleaning needs. 801.572.1000

Welcome!

Do you love all things clean as much as I do? Then definitely check back often. I am planning to keep this updated with all my favorite cleaning tips and other interesting stuff.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

C'mon, get those kids cleaning!


You are a busy mom (or dad).

You work. You clean. You pay bills. You do laundry (it is like a full time job - seriously!). You volunteer. You carpool. You are a built in kid's taxi service. So, why do you do ALL (or mostly all) of the jobs around the house too? It it time to get those kids involved!

I've tried a million different things to try to get my kids to clean. Chore charts, dry erase boards, checklists, stickers, point systems - and they just didn't work for our family. I finally decided to try what my mom used to do back in the day - when I was little. It worked beautifully when I was a youngster.

Mom's Method to Get the Kids Cleaning:


Write chores on a post-it note.

Change them up each day so they don't get boring or monotonous.

(this are my actual chore post-its notes. i know, impressive, right?)

And that is it! It works like a charm. I tried it this summer, and it honestly worked better than anything else I've tried. My kids actually did their jobs with very little complaining. Our system wasn't confusing or hard to stick to it. It worked! Victory!! And now that school is back in session, we are still sticking to it. Yay!!

Who knew? I should have just listened to my mom in the first place.

It definitely reminds of the KISS acronym - Keep it Simple, Stupid. Sometimes the simple plan is the plan you should go with.

Lesson learned. Thanks, Mom!

And, I feel I should mention, clean feels good!

P.S. If your chore system for kids works for you, by all means, stick with it! You are one of the lucky ones that has it all figured out. And please, feel free to share it with the class. Comment below. ;)

3 comments:

  1. I'll switch to the post it notes as soon as my kids all learn how to read. For my little dudes I took a pictures of them doing different jobs around the house... vacuuming, picking up toys, making bed and even brushing teeth. I put all the pics in a To Do container. I would set it out and give them a time limit. It totally worked. I was so proud of myself. I even had my two year old doing chores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing this summer! Again, great minds think alike! It seemed like my kids loved having their own 'note'. They carried it around with them and crossed things off their list. They are just like me.....they love to cross things off their list!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this blog. i want more. i keep coming back to get more tips. do you have any tips on organizing kids clothes when you switch summer for fall clothes?

    ReplyDelete